Shepherd Neame Essex League Cup Match Reports

This article contains the brief description of the quarter-final game between Brentwood and Shenfield. It is one of the best games in the history of a club and the details of the game were described in the full version in the article that is placed in the Hall Of Fame.

Shepherd Neame Essex League Cup Quarter Final
Brentwood v Shenfield
Shenfield 1st XI – 194 all out
Brentwood 1st XI – 196-3
Brentwood won by 7 wickets

Brentwood made it into the league cup semi-final with a seven wicket defeat of local rivals Shenfield.

This semi-final game featured not a set of weather conditions that you would like to have, not even for the training match. Following heavy overnight rain, the pitch was mainly dry and in the circumstanceas played remarkably well. However, it was Brentwood who fielded first in an attempt to make use of what dampness there was.

Shenfield’s openers, Weber and Keane, took the attack to the Brentwood seam bowlers, cruising along at five runs an over, with Weber playing a couple of super on drives for four. The introduction of off spinner Paul Sutherland into the attack slowed the run rate down immediately and eventually got his reward as he had his fellow Australian Weber caught at short third man for 43. Ian Belchamber, introduced at the other end had Keane stumped in his first over by Ben Cocklin. Richard Walford, replacing Sutherland, continued with the tight bowling and got his reward with two wickets in one over, including Shenfield’s other Australian, Simpson.

The wickets of Moore and Jones followed soon after to Belchamber, and Walford picked up Tredget, as the pressure of the tight bowling made the batsmen try to force the pace. Captain Richard Whitehall and Sutherland replaced Belchamber and Walford following the completion of their allotted overs, and tied up the innings as Whitehall picked up the wicket of Walton and Sutherland managed to defeat Maynard and Hindley. The Shenfield tail managed to scrape the score up to 194.

The Shenfield opening bowlers, Moore and Hindley managed to induce a couple of uncharacteristically loose shots from Jon Walford, on his return from injury, but he soon picked up where he left off before his shoulder dislocation. He and fellow opening batsman Paul Larner managed to put on 21 before the latter fell leaving one that Hindley managed to nip back at him, and he was clean bowled. This brought Graham Walker to the crease to reunite last years opening partnership. With Walford in such superlative form, Walker was able to relax and only look for singles, although he managed to find the boundary on the occasions that the Shenfield bowlers went off line.

Walford was especially relentless in his attack on Wickes and Simpson playing shots to all parts of the ground. Walker was eventually out for 38 to the left arm spin bowling of Wright, having put on a partnership of 153 with Walford. Walford then fell soon after to Hindley attempting to finish the game off for 124 from just 85 deliveries. It was then left to Richard Walford and Tony Jones to finish the game off with 15 of the 45 overs remaining.

The best player for this game was elected and the selection was based on the performances and overall quality. Man of the match Jon Walford said “It was good to come back like that after a few weeks off. I now think I’m back where I was before the injury. I’m feeling no worries about the shoulder.”

In the next round Brentwood take on the winners of the Gidea Park and Saffron Walden clash to be played on either the 10th or 17th of August.